Work Location: Washington, DC preferred; Oakland, CA considered
Position Status: Full-Time
Exempt Status: Yes
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the
· Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
· Interact professionally with other employees, partner agencies, and the communities we support.
· Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments.
· Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
The National PREA Resource Center (PRC) is operated via a cooperative agreement between the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and Impact Justice (IJ) to assist with the implementation of the
Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA), which aims to reduce or eliminate sexual abuse and sexual harassment in confinement. The PRC is a flagship federal project that serves as the national source for training and technical assistance to help adult and juvenile corrections, detention, law enforcement, and other professionals in their ongoing work to implement the PREA Standards and reduce sexual abuse in confinement settings. The PRC is an important partner with DOJ in the effort to ensure the quality and integrity of the PREA audit function.
The PRC has an essential role supporting DOJ’s robust audit quality and integrity initiative, including
tracking, monitoring, and analyzing the work of auditors and auditor candidates; providing direct formal technical assistance to the auditing population; communicating important information to other stakeholders; and developing and maintaining an advanced understanding of the PREA audit function. The individual hired for the Program Associate AQI position will have important responsibilities in promoting this initiative and improving its effectiveness nationwide.
Impact Justice is a non-profit innovation and research center committed to reducing the number of people involved in our criminal justice system, improving conditions for those who remain incarcerated, providing meaningful opportunities for successful re-entry, and attending to crime victims’ needs. Home to some of the foremost leaders in juvenile justice, violence prevention, research and evaluation, restorative justice, and youth development, Impact Justice provides an array of technical assistance to criminal justice and community stakeholders. Visit www.prearesourcecenter.org and www.impactjustice.org for more information.
The Program Associate – Audit Quality & Integrity (AQI) Program provides extensive support to the project team to deliver the various program components, including: Probationary Certification status reviews; Quality Improvement reviews; and Peer Review coordination. The position includes onsite
work, some telework, and regular travel. The position is primarily a case management and analysis role, and will include, but is not limited to:
· Substantive and technical analysis and assessment (both individually and in aggregates) of compliance reports, auditors’ self-reported data, and complex sets of supporting documentation (40%);
· Case management duties, including administrative recordkeeping (20%);
· Project management and program coordination duties (10%);
· Research and compilation of case-records (10%);
· Conducting outreach and similar communications with auditors and other stakeholders (10%); and
· Additional analysis duties, such as trend analysis (5%); and
· Complementary duties, including trainings, presentations, and conference attendance (5%).
The incumbent will be responsible for independent evaluation of audit materials and the preparation and delivery of detailed technical assistance, guidance, and support to auditors. The incumbent must demonstrate: excellent analytical skills; superior detail orientation; excellent judgment and the ability to identify deficiencies in written work and provide timely and appropriate guidance to auditors; strong critical and logical thinking skills; strong oral and written communications; a strong ability to complete case management steps and related administrative recordkeeping according to established procedures; willingness to perform repetitive tasks; and excellent communications and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with individuals with diverse and challenging perspectives. The role will also include significant involvement in the development and delivery of project-wide training initiatives, and may also support other project-wide tasks or initiatives. The position requires either familiarity with the PREA law and standards or demonstrated ability to become familiar and develop appropriate expertise.
Under the direction of the Project Co-Directors and the Senior Program Manager, the Program Associate – Audit Quality & Integrity Program supports implementation and execution of the Audit Quality & Integrity program components and related duties, including:
· Assist with or independently conduct substantive and technical review and assessment of compliance reports written by Probationary Certification status auditors
· Assist with or independently provide formal written guidance to Probationary Certification status auditors, tailored to their needs
· Assist with or independently conduct outreach with Probationary Certification status auditors, via either telephone or video conferencing
· Assist with or independently conduct substantive and technical review and assessment of compliance reports written by fully certified auditors
· Assist with or independently provide formal written guidance to fully certified auditors, tailored to their needs
· Assist with or independently conduct outreach with fully certified auditors, via either telephone or video conferencing
· Track, monitor, and review multiple data streams regarding audits and auditors, including auditors’ self-reported data, and check this data for accuracy, validity, and timeliness
· Assist with or independently conduct review and analysis of supporting audit documentation and related materials, in both electronic and hardcopy formats
· Assist with the coordination and administration of the Peer Review process
· Consistently and reliably execute all necessary case management steps and processes
· Consistently and efficiently execute assigned project management duties
· Exercise appropriate decision-making
· Maintain excellent records
· Work collaboratively with the project team to produce deliverables on time and in line with the expectations of senior leadership
· Keep program manager(s) regularly informed of work progress, schedule, and other relevant information, and check regularly with project team to ensure that project tasks meet conceptual objectives and are completed on time
· Other duties as assigned
Under the direction of Project Co-Directors and Senior Program Manager(s), the position may also support other project programming needs, including:
· Assist with Field Training Program (FTP) initiatives
· Assist with auditor recruitment, training, and recertification projects
· Assist with the development and delivery of auditor training curricula
· Assist with educating stakeholders in corrections, detention, and law enforcement, and building productive partnerships through outreach initiatives and stakeholder engagement
· Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study, such as public policy, social sciences, criminal justice, human services, or closely related disciplines and
· At least 3-5 years of prior relevant full-time professional experience
· Strong knowledge of the National PREA Standards or demonstrated ability to develop expertise
· Strong analytical, critical, and interpretive skills
· Strong ability to communicate orally and in writing
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Professional experience in criminal justice policy a plus
· Professional experience in a correctional or detention setting a plus
· Strong commitment to progressive criminal justice reform and correctional reform a plus
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· Proficiency in Google products, including Google Drive and the Google Apps suite (e.g., Gmail, Google Docs, and Google Calendar)
· Proficiency in either Windows or Apple OS
· Ability to learn and become proficient in various software packages (e.g., SPSS), as well as additional computing platforms and systems, (e.g., Salesforce, Mailchimp, Form Assembly)
Special Position Requirements
· Fulltime, 40+ hours a week
· On-site, telework, and regular travel
· Ability to pass a background check
Work Requirements (optional